This year’s campaign is themed to pay tribute to the heroic work of road safety campaigners, professionals, individuals and organisations across the country, providing a platform to speak up about how we can all play a part in making journeys safer for everyone.
Brake has today launched a comprehensive PR and social media toolkit with numerous ideas for activity in Road Safety Week, including ways to share stories of road safety heroes – internally, externally, or both – during the week itself:
- Record and share a video on social media about who the heroes are, and how they keep roads safe
- Tweet their name, role, and tag them in social media posts
- Send an image of the person, with some text about why they’re a hero, to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion in a Road Safety Week Hall of Fame
- Publish a blog, or send one to appear on the Road Safety Week website, about the role they and/or your organisation have in promoting safe travel
- Celebrate your company road safety heroes in a team meeting or on your Intranet
- Join us on Friday, 19 November, for a Safe Tee Day. Get your team to dig out their brightest t-shirts for the day, and share a photo, to highlight the importance of being seen on the roads
- Fundraise for Brake – run a Safe Tea Day and share a cuppa or bake sale with your team.
To help shine a light on the huge variety of road safety champions, Brake is theming each day to focus engagement, PR and social media activity to celebrate specific groups of heroes:
Monday 15 November: Road safety campaigners and charities
Tuesday 16 November: Children, families, youth and schools
Wednesday 17 November: Road safety professionals
Thursday 18 November: Emergency services and road victim services
Friday 19 November: Fleets, businesses and employers, Safe Tee Day
Saturday 20 November: Sustainability heroes
Sunday 21 November: Marking the World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims 2021
Commenting ahead of this year’s official launch, Jason Wakeford, head of campaigns at Brake, said: “Road Safety Week is the UK's biggest road safety event and, each year, millions of people around the UK get involved to take action for safer roads.
“Road Safety Week inspires thousands of schools, organisations and communities to shout out for our right to make safe and healthy journeys every day. It also provides a great opportunity for anyone working in road safety to get more people involved with their work.
“This year we are encouraging everyone to celebrate their road safety heroes during the week (15-21 November) by downloading our new PR and social media toolkit for loads of ideas for getting involved.”
To download the Road Safety Week 2021 PR and social media toolkit please visit: www.brake.org.uk/road-safety-week/lets-do-great-things-together
To sign up for Road Safety Week, please visit: www.brake.org.uk/road-safety-week.
Road Safety Week 2021 is organised by Brake and sponsored by Arval, DHL and Openreach. It supports the Department for Transport's Think! campaign.